So you’re thinking about making a brochure for your business. But how do you make brochures? And even more important, how do you make an effective brochure?
Basically, there are six stages of producing brochures:
- Initial Concept
Fundamentally, brochures need to arouse attention and get interest. They need to motivate an audience toward an action.
You need to know your audience well. What is their age, location, income, family status, industry involved, job title/function, education level, political orientation, religious beliefs, ethnic origin?
Knowing all these things, think through what they really care about. What is important to them? What problems do they have? What are their fears, especially what are they afraid of losing?
Talk to your audience in terms of needs. What’s the problem? How can you meet that? Get benefits across to your audience. What solutions are you offering them?
Here’s some other ideas to help you create an effective brochure:
- Use conversational tone “You”
- Get message across in 20 seconds.
- Make sure visuals work for you, that they illustrate a selling point.
- Ask for action, make sure it’s easy to respond.
- Use Business Reply Envelopes or include a custom domain name.
Additionally, ask these questions:
- What is the purpose of your brochure?
- Who is your audience?
- What is your desired accomplishment?
Be sure to use graphic design elements:
- Color of paper
- Contrast and balance between dark and light
- Balance between color and white space
- Ink color
- Contrast in type
- Be consistent. This creates unity
- Don’t use too much copy
- Headlines are essential!
Follow these guidelines and you will have a brochure that sizzles!
Would you like to have a brand that sizzles and learn the principles of print design? Check out my free mini video course at Make Your Brand Sizzle.
Want even more help in turning your brand into quality print design? Get step by step guidance through my online tutorial course at Brand Identity Quest.